SAGE SUMMER CAMP FAQ
Who can attend SAGE Camp?
- The ideal camp participant is one who is interested in STEM but has not yet decided to pursue a STEM-related course of study for College.
- Must be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader during summer of 2023 who attends a public, private, or home school program in East Tennessee.
- Must be under 18 years of age as of June 21st, 2023
- Students identifying as female or other genders that are undererpresented in STEM will be prioritized
- The deadline for student applications is March 15, 2023.
What types of activities will students do at camp?
- Interactive career chats where a scientist or engineer shares about their career and what a day in their STEM profession is like.
- Hands-on projects and activities (materials will be provided) related to various STEM topics and research areas.
- Small group chats about building professional relationships and strengthening professional skills.
- Tours of AMSE and ORNL.
- Job-shadowing at ORNL.
What are the camp’s hours, dates, and location?
- SAGE Summer Camp will take place daily, excluding Saturday and Sunday, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, beginning on Monday, June 12th and concluding on Wednesday, June 21st, at the American Museum of Science & Energy (115 E. Main St., Oak Ridge, TN).
- During the first week, all sessions will occur at AMSE. On Monday-Wednesday of the second week, students will be transported by bus from AMSE to ORNL’s main campus for a facility tours and job shadowing. They will return to AMSE in the afternoon.
- Students and their families are responsible for their own transportation to and from camp daily.
What do I need to participate in camp?
We will provide a What to Bring list to all accepted students, but most likely you’ll just need comfortable shoes, appropriate layers, a laptop if you have one (we will provide one for you to use if you aren’t able to bring one), and a good attitude. The camp will provide most materials.
Will we be able to visit ORNL as part of the camp?
Yes, portions of the camp will occur at ORNL’s main campus. On June 19th-21st, students will participate in facility tours and job-shadowing at Oak Ridge National Lab. Students will be transported by bus from AMSE to ORNL and back. Camp hours will be 10 am – 4 pm each day.
Do I have to attend all sessions every day?
Yes, please plan to attend all sessions each day to get the maximum benefit from SAGE Summer Camp. The scientists, engineers, and staff volunteering are excited to share their knowledge and hope to create an interesting, engaging, and meaningful experience for every student. Activities build on one another, so please plan on daily attendance.