SAGE SUMMER CAMP FAQ
Who can attend SAGE Camp?
- The ideal camp participant is one who is interested in STEM but has not yet decided to pursue a STEM-related course of study for College.
- Must be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader during summer of 2022 who attends a public, private, or home school program in East Tennessee.
- Must be under 18 years of age as of June 20th, 2022
- Students identifying as female or other genders that are undererpresented in STEM will be prioritized
- The deadline for student applications is May 20th, 2022.
What types of activities will students do at camp?
- Interactive career chats where a scientist or engineer shares about their career and what a day in their STEM profession is like.
- Hands-on projects and activities (materials will be provided)
- Small group chats about building professional relationships and strengthening professional skills.
- Tours of AMSE and Oak Ridge National Laboratories
What are the camp’s hours, dates, and location?
- SAGE Summer Camp will take place daily from 9:00am to 3:00pm, beginning on Monday, June 13th and ending on Friday, June 17th.
- On Monday through Thursday, all sessions will occur at the American Museum of Science & Energy (115 E. Main St., Oak Ridge, TN). On Friday, students will be transported by bus from AMSE to ORNL’s main campus for a campus tour. They will return to AMSE in the afternoon.
- Students and their families are responsible for their own transportation to and from camp daily.
What do I need to participate in camp?
We will provide a What to Bring list to all accepted students, but most likely you’ll just need comfortable shoes, appropriate layers, a laptop if you have one (we will provide one for you to use if you aren’t able to bring one), and a good attitude. The camp will provide most materials.
Will we be able to visit ORNL as part of the camp?
Yes, the camp will be held in-person. On the final day, June 17th, we will take a field trip to tour facilities at Oak Ridge National Lab.
Do I have to attend all sessions every day?
Yes, please plan to attend all sessions each day to get the maximum benefit from SAGE Summer Camp. The scientists, engineers, and staff volunteering are excited to share their knowledge and hope to create an interesting, engaging, and meaningful experience for every student.
What parts of the program can parents participate in?
Parents, guardians, and family members are invited to attend the closing ceremony on Friday, June 17th at 2:00pm. All other activities are reserved for the SAGE students who will be engaged in small group discussions and projects.